Solidarity with the people of Burma against military coup
We, the undersigned organisations, strongly condemn the military coup in Burma. The current coup is a great set back to the little achievement of the transition process towards democracy in Burma for the last decade.
We denounce the use of excessive force against the pro-democracy protesters in Burma that has already caused deaths. We also condemn the arbitrary arrests of elected representatives, pro-democracy activists and people who stood up against the military junta.
We stand in solidarity with the people of Burma in their struggle for democracy.
We call for:
- The Burmese Military must immediately reinstate the elected civilian government.
- Immediate release of all political detainees.
- Stop the brutal repression against pro-democracy protests in Burma.
- The ASEAN must suspend the membership of Burma in ASEAN until a democratically elected government is restored.
- All governments to suspend their diplomatic, military and economic cooperation with Burma until a democratically elected government is restored.
- Socialist Party of Malaysia (PSM)
- Socialist Workers Thailand
- Party of the Laboring Masses (PLM), Philippines
- Working People’s Party (PRP), Indonesia
- Sedane Labour Resource Centre (LIPS), Indonesia
- Socialist Alliance, Australia
- Europe solidaire sans frontières (ESSF), France