Newcastle Council increasingly behaves like a corporation and is losing its connection with residents. We will work with residents’ groups to empower residents to play a more active role in council decision making.
To that end, we will fight to:
- Ensure that council publications profile the community, not the egos of some councillors
- End confidential briefings of councillors by developers
- Allow resident-initiated motions to council
- Hold regular ward meetings
- Reduce the salaries of the CEO, half a million dollars is too much.
- Designate a portion of public works funds for projects to be decided upon by community consultation and vote
- Insist that councillors respond to residents’ phone calls and emails
- Restore community and residents' say over development, no more tick and flick 'consultation'
- Apply building quality standards
- Undertake an audit and take action to ensure full disability access to all public facilities