Newcastle Council increasingly behaves like a corporation and is losing its connection with residents. We will work with residents’ groups to empower residents to play a more active role in council decision making.
To that end, we will fight to:
- Reduce the salaries of the CEO and the Lord Mayor
- Ensure council publications profile the community not the egos of some councillors
- End confidential briefings of councillors by developers.
- Allow resident-initiated motions to council.
- Hold regular ward and precinct meetings.
- Designate a portion of public works funds for projects to be decided upon by community consultation and vote.
- Insist that councillors respond to residents’ phone calls and emails
- Restore community input over development.
- Apply building quality standards
- Undertake an audit and take action to ensure full disability access to all public facilities.