IWC includes large amounts of heritage buildings, parks and trees. It must ensure people and the environment are put before profit.
To that end, council should:
- Restore community say over development.
- Repurpose town halls for community use; no pepper-corn rentals for corporations.
- Apply stricter standards in building quality.
- Save Callan Park from developers and put it to community use, including conversion to affordable public housing, a new arts precinct and a specialist medical care centre.
- Extend the former Leichhardt council’s green waste recycling across IWC.
- Convert council fleet to 100% electric vehicles.
- Undertake an audit and take action to ensure full disability access to all public facilities.