The Socialist Alliance condemns the ethnic cleansing of Palestine by the state of Israel and the denial of Palestinian rights by Israel throughout what was historically Palestine.
This oppression takes different forms including:
- the ongoing colonisation of Palestinian land and theft of resources;
- hi-tech military attacks on the impoverished Palestinian population;
- the blockade, siege and regular military incursions into Gaza;
- the continued carving up and ethnic cleansing of the West Bank by Israeli occupation forces and illegal settlers including: the construction of the apartheid wall (which has been condemned by the International Court of Justice as illegal); the setting up of isolated bantustans; the construction of “Jews only” roads; and the seperation of Palestinians from their agricultural land and economic life;
- the systematic violence and discrimination against Palestinian citizens of Israel; and
- the denial of the right of Palestinian refugees to return;
The Socialist Alliance calls on Egypt to implement the unconditional and permanent opening of the Rafah Crossing to allow the unimpeded movement of people and goods to and from Gaza. It also calls on Egypt to end any complicity with Israel’s ongoing occupation of Palestinian land.
The Socialist Alliance supports:
- Ending the occupation of Palestine by Israel.
- The Palestinian right to self-determination.
- Withdrawal of all Israeli settlements and outposts in the West Bank and East Jerusalem and dismantlement of the apartheid wall.
- Equal civil and democratic rights for all inhabitants of historic Palestine.
- Right of return for Palestinian refugees to all of historic Palestine.
- An end to Israeli aggression against other countries in the region.
- Ending the siege and blockade of Gaza. Free movement of people and supplies (including medical supplies) around historic Palestine and between Palestine and Israel.The Israeli refuseniks and pro-Palestine Israeli human rights activists.
- Prosecuting Israeli military and political leaders for war crimes.
- Ending the criminalisation, in Australia, of Palestinian and Lebanese organisations that resist Israeli occupation using the misnamed “anti-terrorism” laws.
The Socialist Alliance recognises the essential role that international, including Australian, imperialism plays in supporting the Israeli system of apartheid and occupation through massive political, economic and military aid.
The Socialist Alliance condemns the Australian government’s links with, and its uncritical support for, the criminal Israeli state.
The Socialist Alliance supports the 2005 Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign initiative by Palestinian civil and rights organisations against Israel until it complies with international law and Palestinian rights.
The BDS campaign was launched following the International Court of Justice’s historic advisory opinion on the illegality of Israel’s wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Just as the anti-apartheid campaign against white South Africa was not against all white South Africans, BDS is not anti-Semitic.
The call urges various forms of boycott against Israel until it meets its obligations under international law by:
- Ending its occupation and colonisation of all Arab lands occupied in June 1967 and dismantling the Wall;
- Recognising the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and
- Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in United Nations Resolution 194.