This proposal is to change the Socialist Alliance policy statement on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender to include Intersex people.
We live in a society in which attempts to dictate sexual preference and gender identity through promoting the gender stereotypes and homophobic attitudes which underpin the heterosexual nuclear family and by promoting marriage and the nuclear family as the only legitimate model for relationships.
Lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transpeople and intersex people suffer oppression because their lives are a challenge to the nuclear family which is an economic cornerstone of capitalism.
The Socialist Alliance opposes all attempts to shoehorn people into sexual and gender conformity. We believe it is a basic democratic right that a persons' self-definition of sexual preference and gender identity should be recognised. Heterosexism exists at almost every level in this society, and discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity is entrenched in all of the key institutions of society - education, health, the law, the media, family, church and state.
The Socialist Alliance supports politically independent and self-organising social movements that fight the oppression of women, lesbians and gay men, trans and intersex people, people with HIV and sex workers through mass action, public demonstrations, lobbying, voting and by building alliances with the broader working class, feminist, and anti-capitalist movements.
We oppose sexism, racism, ageism and discrimination against people with disabilities within the lesbian and gay communities, as we do in the broader community.
The Socialist Alliance supports:
- Enforceable anti-discrimination legislation to protect lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, people living with HIV/AIDS and trans and intersex people. We will remove existing exemptions for private schools, religious organisations, the insurance industry, the tax system, superannuation etc; legislate for the right of trans and intersex people to be issued with passports, drivers licenses and other documents specifying the gender (or non-gender) of their choice.
- Legislation of full social, legal, trade union and industrial recognition of same-sex relationships. This would include extending to same-sex relationships equal status with heterosexual de factos in superannuation, immigration, taxation, family law, industrial relations and any other laws and regulations; ensure the right of gays and lesbians to choose to marry if they so wish; provide independent incomes (Newstart, Pensions, etc) for all regardless of relationship status - this will end state-enforced economic dependency.
- Guarantee the right of gay men and lesbians to adopt or foster children and end discrimination against gay men, lesbians, trans and intersex people in child custody cases.
- Legislate against use of non-violent homosexual "advance" as a defense of "provocation" in violent crime.
- Provide full state funding for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex youth programs including refuges and housing services, health services, coming out, self-esteem and suicide prevention programs.
- All public funding for education, youth, aged, health, employment and welfare to be directed though non-discriminatory government and/or secular non-profit community organizations. Education in schools to incorporate positive material on homosexuality, trans and intersex peoples.
- Support Pride Marches, the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, film and video festivals and other queer community events; defend and extend gay, lesbian trans and intersex programming on the ABC, SBS and community broadcasters; work vigorously for an end to the vicious and destructive portrayal of gay men, lesbians and transgender people in some sections of the media.
- Support gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans and intersex workers; promote strong policies within unions to defend gay, lesbian, trans and intersex workers; support the establishment of gay and lesbian caucuses within trade unions.
- That Socialist Alliance support the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, intersex (LGBTI) community in their fight for full marriage equality, and assist with organizing rallies, forums, events, around the 2010 Year of Actions for the Marriage Equality campaign.
- That Socialist Alliance phases out the slogan “Same-sex marriage rights” and promotes “Equal Marriage Rights”, which includes the demands of the transgender and intersex community.
- That Socialist Alliance builds and supports International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers events, in whichever way is appropriate.
- That Socialist Alliance, where possible, and where events are organised, builds and supports Trans and Intersex Remembrance Day events.